Friday, March 1, 2013

Finding Love in an A.L.F.



“I finally got up the nerve after a big meal. I walked over to Kathy… and I said ‘after all this good food, do you think it’s alright if I kiss the cook?” said Dave laughing.

Dave and Kathy met in 2008 in Canfield, an Assisted Living Facility in Beaverton, Oregon. Kathy had just moved from Massachusetts to Oregon to be closer to her daughter and her son-in-law. Dave, originally from California, lived in the apartment upstairs from her. The two quickly became friends. 

“We were just friends. I knew him, and I used to say ‘hi’ to him,” explained Kathy.

In September 2011, Dave made the decision to move to Sacramento, California. His son was dying of cancer, and he wanted to be with him during that time. Kathy never forgot about him. She would call every week to check in on Dave and his son. After his son died, Dave would still receive that weekly call, but this time Kathy would ask about him and how he was managing.

“This is the thing that really hooked me. She called me every week. The first thing she said every time was ‘how are you doing and how is your son?’ Then after a few weeks I got to thinking -- this woman really cares about me and my family,” said Dave.

It was this care that helped Dave decide to move back to the Assisted Living Facility after his son passed away on December 27, 2011. His daughter called the facility and was able to get him an apartment there. This time, he was across the hall from Kathy.

“Kathy made me decide I better get back there and see what’s going on,” he said laughing.

The two easily resumed their friendship, but Kathy had her suspicions about Dave’s motives.

“I said to my daughter, Karen, ‘what am I going to do if he asks me out?’” said Kathy. “She just said ‘so what, Ma? Go!’”
However, Dave took his time and didn’t ask her on a date right away. The two began having meals together because Kathy is an excellent cook.

“He wanted to ask me out to dinner one night, but he didn’t ask me because he was afraid I would say no!” explained Kathy.

One night, Kathy made an amazing scallop dish. This was technically their first date, and Dave built up the nerve to ask for a kiss. The rest is history.

“I didn’t want it to happen, but it happened. That’s the way it goes, right?” said Kathy, jokingly. 

The two recently moved in together, and they live with Cricket, Dave’s cat, who has taken a liking to Kathy. 
“I’m really happy and it couldn’t be better. The only problem is that I feel 30, but I look in the mirror and say ‘who’s that old guy?’” said Dave laughing.

The two spend all of their time together. They go out to eat a lot, and Kathy will make them both delicious meals. They go to the movies regularly, and they just enjoy each other’s company. The pair also travels extensively – traveling to California, Seattle, and Italy within the past year. 

“We have good times. We went to California for a week this summer, and we went to Italy for nine days in September. We’re doing everything together. It’s a lot of fun. I’m enjoying it,” said Kathy.  

Marriage is not in their future, but Dave did buy Kathy a diamond ring while on their vacation in Italy, and the two are hoping to get the two families together sometime. Some of the children have met each other, and they couldn’t be happier for their parents.

And, regarding that first kiss: “I turned my face -- I made him kiss me on my cheek,” said Kathy happily.  

No comments:

Post a Comment