Friday, August 19, 2011

TGIF Examined

Every Friday I am greeted with a chorus of people telling me how great it is that Friday is here and how excited they are that the work week is over.  I love the weekend just as much as the next person, but more and more I find myself a bit unsettled by the sentiment that the work week is a horrible thing.  I read a book about Buddhism last year, and there was one passage I vividly remember that talked about washing dishes.  Instead of complaining about washing dishes, the author wrote, we should enjoy it.  We need to wash dishes, so we should do it with a positive mindset.  The author applied that idea to everyday life, and I really liked it.  So instead of complaining about the meetings I need to attend, I enjoy talking with my colleagues and discussing our children.  Instead of complaining about waking up early, I enjoy the early morning light.  At the end of the day, we only get one shot at this life.  We need to make sure we enjoy it and not complain about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment