Friday, April 8, 2011

Nurse Appreciation

A few months ago, my son had minor surgery to remove a benign tumor in his ankle, and he needed to stay the night in the hospital.  After the surgery, I visited him, and the nurses did an excellent job tending to all his needs - educating him on the medications they gave him, making sure he knew how to use his crutches, and even giving him a few extra ginger ales.  Admittedly, I can be a bit of an overbearing mother at times, and as a registered nurse who used to work directly with patients, I wanted to know anything and everything about my son's surgery and recovery. The nurses did not mind at all, and they handled my questions with patience and grace.  Recently, I went to a hospital to see an ailing friend, and the nurses seemed consumed with work.  One explained that this was due to the economy, and often hospitals cannot afford to be fully staffed with RNs.  So I want to dedicate this post to all the nurses out there working hard.  They devote their careers to helping and caring for people.  We put our health into their hands, and they almost always deliver.  So thank you to all the nurses in the world who do a wonderful job taking care of our well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment